***

Random Musings on Dogs, Photography, and the Vagaries of Life

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Third Time's the Charm...I Hope


In the world of animal rescue, some happy endings take a bit longer to achieve...and, sadly, some never happen at all. I am so hoping that my dog-loving friends can help me obtain a happy ending for a special dog I first met back in March.

He was one of several puppies I photographed at the Prince George's County Animal Management Group shelter for my Brindled Beauties and Seeing Spots book. A 4-month-old American bulldog mix, he was a happy, confident, exuberant love bug...and a big kisser! Although we'd never met before, this pup I referred to as Piper, bounded into the interaction room and greeted me like a long-lost friend...impossible to resist.

And he was adopted shortly after the photo shoot. All's well that ends well, or so I thought.

But I was wrong. Piper, renamed Rocky, was returned to shelter just a few short weeks later for being "too destructive" by adopters who didn't believe in using a crate. Come on, now, folks, he's a puppy! Left to their own devices, they can wreak havoc in search of a good time.

Fortunately, this growing boy was adopted again, and I cheered!

But once again, a happy ending eluded this handsome dog, now called Sonny. He was returned to shelter yet again after his adopter was investigated on cruelty charges for leaving Sonny outside on a deck in the heat without food, water, or shelter. Seriously, I could scream!

So now Sonny is once more up for adoption. As an active, energetic 10-month-old adolescent, he's finding shelter life difficult, and I worry that the longer he lingers there, his chances of attracting the attention of a prospective adopter will decrease. Of course, given the current overcrowded conditions at the shelter (thanks to a torrent of pre-vacation owner give-ups this month!), that may not ever become an issue.

So once again I'm appealing to you to help Sonny find his forever home. If you can't take him, please, please, please spread the word to potential adopters and rescue groups. I'll donate 10 copies of the Seeing Spots/Brindled Beauties book to any individual or organization that gets him out of the shelter.

For more information about Sonny (#A346933), call Prince George's County Animal Management Division at 301-780-7200.

No comments:

Post a Comment